Since Valerie drove for some of the road trip back from RoboGames, I had time to think about promoting Kilobots and chatted with Bryan Gallo about it at the same time. He is one of the Miami builders and is planning to attend our Spectrum event but only if we make it SUPER AWESOME. So let's do that! Here is my brain dump of ideas we came up with. Please read through and respond! Let's drum up a ton of new builders for Spectrum!
1) Robot Rentals at all events: For new builders - rent a robot for an entire tournament! Sign up in advance so I know how many to bring. $50 Spinner, $40 Lifter, $35 Wedge. (Maybe you guys have old bots you can get running too? I can make a site page with all the bots listed and prices.) We can pair them with mentor veteran teams who tell them how to win and what repairs to do.
2) Discounted purchase price for the rental bots so rookies hopefully buy them and come back!
3) Free Kilobots t-shirt for renters (and ourselves). We could attend Al's next t-shirt workshop to crank them out. (Get size with rental bot deposit).
4) Raffle off a Viper kit. One ticket with every robot entered, and new builders get an extra ticket. (I'm not sure about this idea. Needs development.)
5) Contact Bamboo Shoots for filming SaskExpo and Spectrum.
6) Do radio interviews to advertise upcoming events and Bot Rentals.
7) Put up posters at UofS/Siast/Express Hobbies and where else? [Added: Kijiji ad]
8) Have Albert's Bot Bash arena running at our events.
9) Remember win pogs? Those were lasered by an expensive place in town. But now we have access to the laser at TechWorks! Thoughts?
10) Remember the etched beer mugs? I still use mine! We could do that again.
11) Kilobots banners! I'm getting a TechWorks banner made and will get a Kilobots at the same time. What should it look like?
12) Trophies! Travis got there before me and his are looking good. Keep it up!
13) Prizes from Big Blue Saw, RobotMarketPlace, FingerTech, SparkFun, where else? Check out some of the Bot Brawl
14) Gallo will live stream Spectrum if we want. Is there a wired internet drop in Hardy lab? I doubt wireless would work well.
15) SaskExpo sponsor sign for the top of the arena. Ethan, how are the sign holders coming along? Need help?
What else can we do! Ideas ideas ideas.