September 21, 2017, 01:06:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Great Canadian Bot Brawl  (Read 1940 times)

Ravi_B

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Great Canadian Bot Brawl
« on: April 29, 2015, 10:59:50 am »
This is a new entity in Canada.
Our first event will be September 19th 2015 in Kitchener, Ontario.
This single day event will be a public exhibition at a much larger maker based event. I cannot announce the location or host event just yet but I'm sure you can figure out what 'maker based event' means.

Our first event will feature 150lb and 30lb sumo robots. The format will be very similar to dragoncon, weapons are permitted but only to a certain extent.

http://botbrawl.blogspot.ca/

Check us out. We hope to build and grow a local community of builders, hopefully moving into combat type events.
While we have a forum set up for our purposes there is a direct to SPARC.tools on the welcome page.

Ravi_B

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Great Canadian Bot Brawl
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 03:27:39 pm »
We have added a 30lb sumo class and made a few modifications to the main page.
Event fee's are now handled through Eventbrite.

Ravi_B

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 10:06:26 am »
Proof reading aside, Canadian Event Bot Brawl got picked up by a local chapter of major media CBC news!

We had radio interview run earlier this morning and of course the web article.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/maker-expo-with-150-pound-fighting-sumo-robots-hits-waterloo-region-in-fall-1.3124600

You should be booking your ticket now ;)

mg4201

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 09:35:21 pm »
I have wanted to build a fighting robot for a long time. I will be at this event, my first to see what it is all about. There is no way I can build my first robot fast enough to enter this event. If there are going to be events in Canada, I plan to fight in them.

Ravi_B

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 10:25:32 am »
Hey, we will be running annual events 100%. I'm working on setting up for a bi-annual event for 2016 and into the future.
SPARC is a great resource if you have event specific questions email me at gcbotbrawl@gmail.com

Thanks for supporting Bot Brawl!

Ravi_B

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 09:27:16 am »
The registration deadline of August 19th is approaching very fast!

www.botbrawl.ca

Yes we have a new website which is much easier to navigate with info front and centre.

Ravi_B

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 03:58:47 pm »
Registration Closed with 19 bots. Great number for our first event including 9 brand new teams.

We event managed to convince the 3 Mayors of our venue's Tri-City area to show up for a mayoral bot brawl.
www.botbrawl.ca

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 09:16:48 pm »
I just couldn't make it work this year with everything else I have going on. I hope you get a good turnout of working bots from those new teams and I look forward to seeing some video.  Maybe I'll be able to make it up for the next one.

-Zac

Ravi_B

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 11:41:49 am »
Thanks Zac, I know there were a few of our brothers to the south who were interested in making it up but were unable to.

In light of this, we will be live streaming the event! Details on that later.

I'm hoping everything will be in order, I'm working with a handful of the new teams even providing spare parts as needed. Dalton has done so with another team. So they have the resources and backup. Tomorrow night is our first mass build session, all Bot Brawl teams have been invited to my makerspace for a private event. The entire shop will be available to them along with a team of experienced roboteer's.

More over the largest news outlet in Ontario (maybe Canada) has picked up the event and will be present getting video and images for a story they're working on.

Its all coming together, 23 days to go.

Ravi_B

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 12:07:32 pm »
The big day approaches! Lots of cool robots being built for this event, very excited.

I've been travelling around with my bot and visiting the 3 mayors of our tri-city area for promotional photo shoots. The 3 mayors will join us on competition day for the first ever mayoral battle. The Mayors are getting rowdy, challenging one another to a mechanical show of might.

Check out the details, pictures and videos.

http://www.botbrawl.ca/2015/09/bot-brawl-build-session-2-videophotos.html

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 09:00:57 pm »
Very cool, and the three-way mayoral battle will be great publicity. That 30lb platform looks TINY. I'm sure I'm not a good enough driver to stay on something that small.

-Zac

Ravi_B

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 08:32:11 am »
Our first event was Sept 19th and despite it being outdoors, under tents and in the rain we had a blast. All and all a success with large crowds, the mayoral battle went very well as well with each mayor borrowing a 150lb robot to fight it out.

Videos and more up at www.BotBrawl.ca
Each fight was recorded and will be posted in time.

The platform, 8ft in diameter with a 2" pole in the centre really makes for good driving practise especially for those big bots.

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 02:56:25 pm »
An 8' diameter platform is TINY for bots that size. We did Barn Battles on a 12x16 or 16x16 surface and I still drove off the platform randomly with my 7 pounder. I can't imagine trying to maneuver a 120lb bot

-Zac

Ravi_B

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 08:49:05 am »

www.botbrawl.ca for details

Ravi_B

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 03:56:57 pm »