June 23, 2017, 06:28:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Team Canada  (Read 1246 times)

thesaxmachine

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Team Canada
« on: April 07, 2015, 01:34:57 pm »
So team Canada for next Robogames event? Who is in.

ACME

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
Re: Team Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 02:08:19 pm »
I'm in.

FingerTech

• Administrator
  • Roboteer
    • View Profile
    • FingerTech Robotics Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 04:53:02 pm »
I think we should discuss purchasing a motorhome (class C) for the trip.  Alternatively and possibly cheaper is the refurbished school bus (with the disability lift!).  No toilet, but we can at least add a minifridge.  :)

We could fit ~8 people in there and split the gas and driving time.  I may not be normal but I really dislike driving.  I was happy to do it once and take Al's Megalodon along, but it sounds like we are going to have a lot more to bots and tools next year.

I will also be looking for two employees to run the FingerTech booth.  Zach and the Bot Bash crew did their best but they are very busy and it would make sense to have people who actually know the products selling them.  (Two people so they can switch off and still experience RoboGames and compete if they want.)
Kurtis Wanner
FingerTech Robotics

thesaxmachine

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 12:38:12 am »
I've been looking.  I'll ping the guys at Protospace and see if there is anything in terms of a bus.   Kijiji turns up some smaller ones starting at $3500

zacodonnell

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 07:04:41 pm »
Not to be a big downer or anything, but are we sure that Robogames will happen again next year? Dave ran a great gig this year and I'll go back for sure if he has it again, but there was one definite and another near-miss box breaches this year so I would expect arena and insurance costs to go up again next year.  It is an awfully expensive deal already and I'd hate to see you go in on a vehicle and have that not happen.   Of course, you could come to motorama then!

8 people and 8 big bots plus tools is going to take up an awful lot of space... the school bus idea is probably closer to the size range than an RV unless you add on a trailer.  Just Gloomsday took up the entire folded-down back seats of the van we were driving around. The saw was between the middle seats and we had maybe a foot or so of extra width on the sides once it was assembled... It was big.  Would you be able to rent something for just the trip? It seems like it might be do-able for a once-a-year thing.

-Zac

Kaldonis

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 12:54:02 pm »
Not to be a big downer or anything, but are we sure that Robogames will happen again next year?

Dave posted on Facebook that it would happen again next year, but later in the month. So not an iron clad confirmation, but good enough to get our hopes up over.

Also, we're not likely to have 8 big bots. 3 heavies at most and then some smaller bots.

jchernus

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 11:47:21 am »
I'm in the process of putting together a team right now, so hopefully there will be another Canadian heavyweight competitor.

Our participation will likely depend on whether or not Prairie Machine (our employer) wants to sponsor us (metal, plasma cutting, etc.). I'll keep everyone updated :)

Julia

thesaxmachine

• Roboteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 04:52:12 pm »
Go go team Canada